Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Yoga is medicine.

Jennifer said that yesterday when we were talking before (and during) my massage - she's noticed some real progress in my psoas and my ability to release them with her assistance. I notice that it doesn't hurt like a BASTARD when she touches them! I told her about my new persistent front-of-the-thigh pain and she immediately pinpointed it as the rectus femoris muscle (can't tell you how much I love these wiki illustrations). Turns out my work with Dr. Hoo has so loosened up my sacral region that the increased motion of my pelvis (*insert Beavis & Butthead snickers here*) has caused ol' rectus femoris to brace, just like my gluts were doing when my lower back first started loosening up. Jennifer completely eliminated the pain, though, at least through today, and when working on my shoulders had to ask which one had been bothering me - whereas 2 weeks ago the left shoulderblade was noticeably further away from the midline.

This change I definitely credit to the inclusion of yoga in my healing trifecta - we did camel pose (especially like the arrows and butt squiggle in this illustration) Sunday and a bunch of other arm things that I was surely feeling come Monday morning. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't sad/frustrated that I have to give it all up for probably 2 months at least, but heartened that I've gotten this far even with my hip issues. Just imagine what I'll be able to do post-op! Bad ass.

Oh yeah and guess what?! Blue Cross is actually paying for my PAO! Woot! Got the official letter yesterday, just in time for my MRI and first autologous blood donation on Friday. I'm not too anxious about all that - next Thursday is the real big push, pre-op, blood donation, x-rays, PT, Dr. Kim - it's going to be a long day, made longer by the fact that I can't head down til that morning, and my first appointment's at 7:45am! Best laid plans!

Monday night I was panicking something fierce (realizing that I don't stress out, I stress in, if that makes sense to anyone besides me) but yesterday's adjustment and massage combo (and the introspection it allows) set my mind right again. Back to the yoga studio this evening, which should calm me back down to baseline. All in all, I'm feeling pretty well blessed today. :)

No comments: