Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Fitter, Happier, More Productive

Well, the first two, at least. :) I realized the other day that now, 2 weeks (and a day!) away from surgery, I'm feeling better than I ever have. Ferreal! My thinking has really shifted, from being defined by dysplasia (and the dire consequences thereof) to surgery being merely a brief interruption in what is otherwise an active happy life. If anything, aside from the anxiety of anticipation, what I'm mostly feeling is sadness, as I mourn the impending loss of mobility. But I'm not scared - I'm ready!

Friday's medical extravaganza was wholly successful - as it turned out my time at Boston Childrens (Waltham) went so long I would have missed my blood donation at BI anyhow. I also learned that I have "the strangest veins" ever seen by the kindly radiology nurse who spent half an hour trying to inject me with contrast. First try (left forearm) failed entirely, followed by a collapsed vein (right forearm) on second go, though she did get about 5ccs in before it went, finally getting the rest in through my right wrist, which gave a good sting. I decided to watch the last time around, since I can always use the help getting used to such things. The butterfly needles they use are actually pretty cool, and really helped the nurse work on the angle best suited for injection - apparently my veins are both in a weird place and weirdly angled, such that she was really struggling for awhile there. It all went in just fine through the wrist, though, and they gave me a handy hotpack for the collapsed vein, which really helped reduce the stinging and stiffness.

MRI wasn't nearly as scary as my first, and I had my wits about me enough to ask for a copy for myself, which I'm really looking forward to. They then sent me for x-rays (one less thing to do on Thursday!) because my initial ones (which thankfully still garnered me a speedy diagnosis) weren't the right kind. This time around they took all but one while I was standing, some with my foot at a not very comfortable angle. I had to hook my toes under the edge of the table for the lying down one, also something I would expressly avoid in my general life. Still and all, looking forward to getting copies of those as well, for one so I can finally calculate the actual degree of my dysplasia and for two... well, because I think they're cool. :)

Sunday's yoga class was especially marvelous, and I learned to love reclining big toe pose (perhaps the worst pose name yet) and the benefits it provides. Had a totally weird sensory experience where, when I lowered the leg I'd started with it felt like it hit the floor about 6 inches below my other leg. Sort of like the opposite of when you stand in a doorway pressing your hands against it and when you walk out your arms lift up, you know? Also got into my shoulders really well with some link-your-fingers-behind-your-back business, all of which I was feeling (in the best possible way) yesterday when I played A FULL 18 HOLES OF DISC GOLF! Man, it was AWESOME! Such a gorgeous day and, rustiness aside, so wonderful to get out and about. I was definitely tired by the time we made it home, but not in a lot of pain, nor am I today. Fantastico!

No comments: