Thursday, October 30, 2008

What is Network Spinal Analysis?

C'est ca. Does that help? Probably not. :)

Following rave reviews from the future Mrs. Tothers (and a free referral from Mr.), I travelled yesterday to Rushford Family Chiropractic in Burlington. Let me tell you it's a little odd to walk past Army and Navy recruitment offices only to open the door to an aromatherapitized, serene-chant-filled center for connecting me with the life force that flows through me. Somehow this made me more nervous than any of my MANY other medical experiences (except the MRI!), but as soon as we got down to the task at hand I could see the benefit of it all.

After writing my name and medical history for approximately the 1 zillionth time, Dr. Matt and I discussed the stresses in my life, both physical and emotional, before he started the evaluation of my spinal function. He started at the top and had gotten about 3 seconds in before discovering two huge bands of stress along the righthand side of my neck and shoulder. He likened these to tree trunks of stored stress, dating the lower band from about 1996 and the upper from about 2002 - "I believe that's the ex-boyfriend band", I told him. :) 1996 was when I was 16, so between my dealings with my parents (and my own brain) and the losses we experienced that year, it makes sense I'd have some tension from then.

The other major area of concern was, not surprisingly, my lower back. Holding my shoulders in place and pushing on the area, he put my range of motion at about 10% of capacity. To be honest, I didn't even remember that part of my spine COULD move, which is kind of scary.

I would be hard-pressed to explain what the actual "adjustment" consisted of, not because it's complicated, but because it's so simple and effective it's mindblowing. You can pretty much throw the chiropractic crack-and-snap paradigm out the window - there's barely any touching involved at all! But somehow it resets the signal your brain's been stuck sending to a particular muscle and allows it to relax, sometimes for the first time in years! It took less than 15 minutes, and immediately when I sat up the right side of my neck and shoulder felt... well, FELT for the first time in I don't know how long. I had a really weird time driving home, because I felt like my head was on crooked! And, suddenly, when Dr. Matt held my shoulders in place and pressed on my lower back, my whole body moved! He estimated it at closer to 25% range of motion. Did I mention my mind was blown?!

The Rushfords have a handy Spinal Exam Results Chart that rates your Range of Motion, Tissue Stress, and Spinal Cord Tension from a soothing blue Wellness/Maintenance Care range to a fiery Critical Care Range. I redlined across the board. Dr. Matt's recommendation was that I make 3 visits/week and reevaluate at 12 visits. Since their office is a ways away and they're only open evenings twice/week, I booked twice weekly for the next few weeks. I don't know how I'm actually going to PAY for it, but it's definitely worth it. Not to be too melodramatic, but when I went to get some food after my appointment, I left my cane in the car - the first time I've walked out in the wide world without some manner of stick in over a month! :O

Tonight I go for my second session and, who knows, may be doing cartwheels come Friday morning! :)

No comments: