Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Live on two legs

Or at least sometimes two! The past few days I've been doing short distances without my crutches, and life is pretty good! The twinges and soreness are of an entirely different sort, which to my ever-optimistic mind (ha!) is more evidence of how this setback has actually been pretty helpful. The pool yesterday was really great, and Thursday I'll see Susan to get the all-clear, though I doubt I'll give up the crutches entirely until next week.

The whole thing has slowed me down to the pace that I probably should have been walking at for the past year. For all the changes I've made to my life, I really hadn't curtailed my walking speed (or, to some extent, distance) much at all until now. I do like to STRIDE CONFIDENTLY through life! I may take Chris up on his cane offer if only to a)remind myself to take it easy and b)give people a visual cue indicating that I'm not just a naturally superslow walker. :)

I was at the Health Center for 2 hours last Friday for my physical, and kept thinking "Gah, medicine is so COMPLICATED!" Got my bloodwork back and learned I have high cholesterol and possible indications of a "fatty liver" - when I told my mom (whose 4 siblings also all have lower back and hip problems) she said "Oh, we all have that!" So apparently that's my inheritance from THAT side of the family. From my dad I guess I got... procrastination, puns, and alcohol tolerance? Mixed blessings all around! So I'm going back to the nutritionist to talk cholesterol and add another layer of paranoia - I mean understanding - to my mealtime repertoire. And I had more bloodwork done (I asked if they could use the same hole from Wednesday) for some stuff I don't even really remember. Thyroid and Vitamin D and something... we shall see.

But, more importantly...

No comments: