Wednesday, October 22, 2008

That's why my philosophy keeps me walking when I'm falling down

Well, I've been entirely crutchless now for nearly 5 days and, aside from a minor setback resulting from trying to maneuver a month's worth of laundry down the stairs, have been doing a-okay! Frankly the biggest problem right now is that my STUPID EMAIL is all screwed up, and I haven't been able to access it since Saturday night. Very annoying. Otherwise, though, I am VERY much looking forward to my trip to DC tomorrow, and am stocked with 2+ hour long movies (and Battlestar Galactica), back issues of Harpers and of course books for the journey. My dear friend Kevin has sent many musics my way of late (along with this FRICKING FANTASTIC Radiohead Sigg!), so I've been rocking Ben Folds nearly constantly, and keep singing "La LAAA la la la la la la Zak and Sara!" incessantly the past few days, much to the delight of those around me, I'm sure! Dean also hooked me up with a sweet theme song, Girls on Crutches from Hawksley Workman's Los Manlicious - I'd never heard him before and he's superrockin'!

I think the biggest lesson of the past 3 weeks (and, really, of being a patient in general) has been something along the lines of "Ask and ye shall receive" - and you know I'm not one to throw Bible quotes around lightly! But nearly all the assistance I've gotten (from starting pool therapy to getting a cane to weaseling free laundry out of Van Deren) has come from simply inquiring about it. I recently read this bit in Salon and it really resonated for me. I see so many woman posting on hip messageboards that are just floating along at the mercy of their doctors, going into surgery not even knowing how long they'll be hospitalized, whether they should do PT afterwards and what's "normal" to expect. Not I! I ask approximately 3 dozen questions at every visit, and even though I've been averaging a doctor's appointment per week for the past 6 months, I'm still voracious to know more and more and more. Modern medicine won't wrest control from my little hands! :) I often find myself thinking of



haha That's me!

I really appreciate folks' responses to my blog (a phrase that still makes me feel more than a bit dorky!) and, especially now that my emailing has been abruptly curtailed, hope they keep on coming! Tomorrow, TO THE CAPITAL!!! :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Those are some of the creepiest art-babies I've ever seen. Maybe my lack of familiarity with recent Childrens' Literature is at fault, but I'm genuinely weirded out by the way they're drawn.

On a completely unrelated note, have a good trip, Marissa!