Thursday, December 4, 2008

Man, insurance is dumb.

So even Blue Cross doesn't know why I got billed $450 from Children's Hospital - the friendly customer service lady was like "Uhhh... I'm going to pass this on to our investigators...?" But it seems like it was just an error in processing, since I had approval for out-of-network service from Dr. Kim and an emergency approval (from the side of 89) for the MRI on the day of. Apparently the charge is for the reading of the MRI, which may well have been done by someone other than Dr. Kim, which may have resulted in the error. Now I wait. And just presume it's all a mistake, because I sure don't have $450 lying around!

Otherwise, though, insurance is most assuredly NOT dumb, as without it I would have paid probably $15,000 (yes, that's the right number of zeros!) out of pocket before even getting to surgery. Or, more to the point, have incurred $15,000+ of debt!

Waking up this morning I was reminded of an unforseen consequence of my continued NSA adjustments - lots of sleep and LOTS of long, bizarre, superinvolved dreams! I don't know quite why, though the sleep isn't really a surprise. For whatever reason, that's what happens when my legs tire out - I just nod off... for about 3 hours on average! The dreaming I'm sure the Rushfords would say is a result of the pathways along my spinal cord being unblocked (and whatnot), but whatever it is it's throwing my subconscious for quite the loop!

No comments: