Thursday, June 11, 2009

It's ALLLIIIVE!!!

Well, I did it! Or, more to the point, Dr. Kim did. LPAO went off yesterday without a hitch, except that my sense of time is totally screwy, such that this morning I thought "I can't eat anything before surgery"... the surgery I had 24 hours ago, that is!

Anesthesia and meds don't seem to be messing me up too bad, though I did lose some of my water last night due to drinking a little too enthusiastically (story of my life!). I'm pretty out of it, though, thanks in no small part to being woken up every 2 hours last night to do "ice tests", basically seeing how much of my body the epidural is affecting. Seems to really be doing the trick, though, as I'm in absolutely no pain and only minor discomfort when I shift around or try to sit up more. Ah, except for the INCESSANT ITCHING, that is, which I guess is standard for epidurals - man it's annoying! Ooops and it's a good thing a coupla doctor-types just checked on me, because apparently my epidural bandage was coming off and the epidural was about to fall out! Good catch!

Otherwise I'm feeling pretty dandy, aside from not having eaten anything but my "clear liquid tray" since Tuesday night. I'll pretty much be coasting through the next couple days, then my epidural comes out probably Saturday, at which point the REAL fun begins! I'll be getting my unit of donated blood back before then, though, so hopefully it'll increase my stamina, if not my pain endurance! I'll surely be updating here as best I can, but for now signing off from Room 1278 in scenic BIDMC!

No comments: