Saturday, June 13, 2009

Epidural out!

Else why would I be awake at 7am on a Saturday?? I can't explain the relief of finally being able to scratch my back, which has been covered in tape for 3 straight days. Ahhhhh! This also means I'll be getting feeling back in my legs (for better or worse!) and will soon be released from the dandy plastic compression legwarmers I've been rocking. My fever spiked again last night to 101 and I was so sweaty and miserable, but this morning it seems to have broken (thanks in no small part to the abundance of crushed ice available to me). After the epidural, they wait a few hours to take out the catheter, which means I'll be down to just one IV and able to finally get out of this stinking bed.

Of course, I'm probably crazy to look forward to that since it will undoubtedly hurt like hell. Just trying to reposition myself in bed with my trusty trapeze is cringe-inducing enough, and that's WITH the epidural! Yesterday a most intrepid nurse not only got me cleaner than I've been in days but also managed to change my sheets without me ever leaving the bed - miraculous! Ooh and a scrub-wearing angel just appeared at my bedside and gave me percocet! This hospital living's not nearly so bad as I thought it'd be!

Today is the first morning that the sun is shining fully on Boston, making it also the first day I'm really regretting not being able to get outside. Thankfully, though, my regret is assuaged by the phenomenal bouquet delivered last night from my dearly beloved Rivendell crew - truly one of the loveliest I've seen! Pretty much made my week. :)

No comments: