Friday, September 26, 2008

Ohhh I did something bad...

Eddie Izzard has this bit about chiroprators ("they're different from osteopaths... because of the spelling") in which he talks about how they crack your bones and you go "Ahhh!" but sometimes you just go "Errr?!" - I had that today. One of the most common symptoms of dysplasia (and the first I ever manifested) is cracking/popping hips. Most of the time that cracking results in the best feeling of relief you can get, at least in the short-term, but today I definitely had an "Errr?!" moment. Something other than my regular popping popped and now my usual discomfort is gone, replaced with new pains in strange places (I believe the industry term is "my left butt") and the inability to put full weight on my left leg. Hopefully this is only temporary!

There's a lot doctors don't know about why dysplastics hurt the way they do. I asked Dr. Kim "So, what is it that hurts when I'm feeling this pain?" and he said "That's a good question! We really don't know." My PT was saying the popping is probably the iliotibial band (that runs down the side of your leg - see illustration) moving. From where to where... uh, I dunno. From somewhere bad to somewhere good? Maybe? All I know is my damn leg hurts, and I can't wait to get home to my icepack!



Oh, and I went to put on my precious precious beloved Earth shoes this morning and discovered that Augustus the Destroyer had chewed one of them apart! I swear he thinks he's a dog! I fear I will be pouting over these sandals for some time to come.

No comments: