Monday, September 29, 2008

I took a tumble.

Yesterday at my folks' house I was bumbling around getting ready for my mama's 60th birthday brunch (which was awesome) and stepped back into the treadmill, falling with not a dang thing to catch myself on. I bounced my left shoulderblade and right elbow off the wall, smashed my left elbow on a stack of I don't even know what (the resulting multitonal bruise is quite impressive) and landed my aforementioned left butt right on the corner of the treadmill. I now have a purple 5-inch equilateral triangle on my bum. And on the side I was already limping on! Geez, I just can't catch a break. :)

My mom and I talked some about plans for my infirmity post-surgery and she made me a little nervous, talking about how hard it's going to be for her and my dad to get me into the house and wondering aloud if I might just go to a "halfway house" (or live with my 94-year-old grandmother, which I think was a joke?!) until I'm functional enough to go back to my apartment. *sigh* I mean, we have plenty of time to work things out, but I need to feel like my plans are stable enough that I can not worry about them, and instead focus on the actual mechanics of getting better. I asked if she'd been reading I am PAOed (she hasn't) to get a better idea of what to expect, saying "I don't think you understand what it's going to be like" and she said her classic "I hate to tell you, but... I think it's going to be very painful." I was like "Ah... yeah! They take a chunk out of my pelvis!" I don't know - for me sucking up as much information as possible is what helps me keep a level head (relatively!) about it all. I think for my mom (who won't even look at the diagram of what the surgery is) it just makes it all the more scary. Hopefully that will change over the course of the next 8 months - I can't be the only one who knows what's going on!

On an unrelated note, if you haven't heard it you should check out TV on the Radio's new album, Dear Science - I CANNOT stop listening to it! Totally. Awesome.

No comments: