Monday, February 2, 2009

I have spine homework

You know, it's a good thing I have so much practice being self-centered. :)

Dr. Hoo has charged me with not trying to crack my wonky shoulder/upper back and it is REALLY HARD! She pointed out Thursday that all my twisting and stretching efforts in the area for the past 2 months have come to naught - in fact, the energy I'm trying to put into the stuck vertebra is just being absorbed (unhappily) by the vertebrae on either side of it. So I haven't cracked my shoulders in nearly 4 days, and am basically feeling immobile across the top of my back. It's weird.

Thankfully my beloved therabelt straps handily around my shoulder as well, so I can keep heat on it while (theoretically) relaxing. And relaxing my shoulder makes me realize how much of my day I'd been spending trying to pop it back in place, sometimes just by taking an extra deep breath. So I'm not taking any extra deep breaths, which is also weird. But hopefully will result in some happy resolution to the shoulder issue when I head to the Rushfords tomorrow. Dr. Hoo was also kind enough to give me a $10 off coupon for a therapeutic masseuse (and former chemist!) she recommends, though I've yet to make an appointment there. Frankly, at this point I feel like I'm bleeding cash out my spine, happy and well-adjusted though it may well be! I think, though, that I'm going to make one major investment this month, in a "Clear Day" with the Rushfords - a day in which you receive three adjustments, with yoga, meditation, inspiration and mandala art therapy (seriously) in between. Dr. Hoo really feels it might be a breakthrough day for me in the spots where I've been teetering on clear for the past few weeks. I'm really looking forward to it.

I'm also starting to look in earnest for secondhand Millennial Crutches (they're all the rage in the dysplastic set, dontchaknow!) so I can get a couple months of practicing in before becoming actually crutchbound. January pretty much completely passed me by, so I'm a little surprised to find myself halfway through the school year and just 4 months away from surgery. Yipes!

1 comment:

Acy said...

Millennial crutches are awesome! I hope you can find a pair easily. I just got mine from Amazon, but you could probably get them from someone. Friends just wanted to try them out instead of actually talking to me cause they look so cool! Good luck :)